We’ve advised all kinds of businesses at various stages of their lifecycle and, as a business ourselves, at Nevett Ford we know the needs of an organisation and the people within it will change over time. Therefore, as business advisors, we know we need to be nimble.
We’re confident in adapting our guidance to suit each unique client and what’s most important to them at that moment in their evolution – for example, a small family business looking to raise funds by selling down assets usually requires quite different guidance to a Board of directors deciding whether to recommend a merger to shareholders.
We know anyone involved in business requires practical, quick and cost-effective legal guidance and solutions that are tailored to fit your circumstances and objectives. –Regardless of the size, shape or industry of our client, we factor all of the above into our advice.
We’ve worked with a range of stakeholders and industry participants with varying needs who are impacted differently by corporate and business operations including:
- established family businesses, whether operating as trustees or corporate entities
- small businesses & sole traders
- contractors & employees
- partners & joint venturers/co-owners
- CEOs & management
- Boards & Company Secretaries
- through to more sophisticated and complex corporate structures with independent directors, external investors & shareholders, and layers of corporate and statutory regulation.
Unfortunately, experience has also shown us what can go wrong when risks are ignored rather than managed or when compliance isn’t proactively implemented. For this reason, we very much prefer working in true partnership with clients to help safeguard their future – not just as emergency advisors.
BUSINESS LAW, OPERATIONS & TRANSACTIONS
The following are examples of common matters our business and corporate teams can assist clients with:
- Business purchases and sales including formation of new companies, trusts, co-ownership entities and other structures.
- Shareholder agreements, unitholder agreements, partnership agreements.
- Joint venture & co-investment structures.
- Business succession planning.
- Advice for directors and shareholders, trustees and beneficiaries
Commercial and Operational Contracts
- Franchising and distribution including distribution agreements, franchising agreements, and franchising Code of Conduct matters.
- Services or supply contracts, Cconsulting & specialist agreements.
- Trading terms and conditions.
- Restraint of Trade and confidentiality arrangements
- Advice on releases and indemnities.
- Protecting, enforcing or contesting security interests.
- Consumer and competition laws including Australian Competition and Consumer (ACCC) matters, Australian consumer law – misleading or deceptive conduct, unconscionable conduct, unfair practices, availability and enforcement of conditions and warranties.
- Finance agreements including advice on loan and debt agreements, securities and negotiation of terms with funders.
- corporate governance and company secretarial services, including resolutions, meeting procedures and registry guidance
- advising on, protecting and advancing the rights of shareholders and other business participants (see corporate- link)
- advice on Corporations Act requirements and constitutional matters
- share subscriptions, options and restructures
- business acquisitions and sales, including shares and assets
- compliance failures and regulator investigations and/or disputes, including assisting with internal investigations, regulator ‘Notice to Produce’ and formal investigations by ASIC or other state and federal regulators.
- Employment contracts, including employee incentive schemes and executive contracts.
- Redundancies and terminations.
- Collective contracts and union negotiations.
- Workplace investigations, and dispute resolution including mediations.
- ‘Global Mobility’ / Workforce Migration, including employer nominations, corporate and business sponsored Temporary and Permanent Residence Visas.
Property Law - Commercial & Industrial Real Estate
- due diligence and property investigation.
- contracts for purchases and sales, development projects (see Property Development)
- leasing including owner / tenant negotiations and contract review
- planning matters such as Change of Use, subdivisions etc.
See our Property page.
Licencing, Trademarks and IP Law
Conflict and Disputes
- pre-litigation dispute resolution and strategies to manage disputes
- shareholder oppression, Cco-ownership and/or partnership disputes
- Breach of Contract, including construction disputes
- other breaches and disputes such as breach of obligations, misleading and deceptive conduct
- commercial property disputes.
AUSTRALIAN CORPORATE LAW, COMPANY GOVERNANCE AND REGULATION
- Corporate Governance and management advice including guidance for directors and business operators, shareholder and board meeting procedures and voting.
- Company Secretarial Services.
- Advice on company constitutions, company meetings and procedures– compliant with Corporations Act and tailored to the objectives and realities of the business.
- Guidance on Board composition, structuring and appointment processes, skills matrix considerations and eligibility criteria.
- Directors’ duties and liabilities, access to documents and indemnification.
- Shareholders and unitholders agreements.
We also work with directors or shareholders on managing disputes and developing appropriate remedies within the bounds of the company constitution and/or the framework of Australian corporate law.
Capital Management and Transactions
- Business acquisitions and sales – share sales.
- Loans and finance – including debt and securities.
- Ventures and collaboration agreements.
- Share issues, redemptions and buybacks.
- Capital finance – preference shares, convertible notes.
- Employee share schemes.
Compliance Issues and Regulator Disputes
- Assisting with ASIC investigations or compliance.
- Advice on directors duties, liabilities, indemnities and insurances.
Regulators we have engaged with on behalf of clients include Australian Tax Office (ATO), ASIC, Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB), local councils, Department of Immigration and the State Revenue Office (Vic).
We also advise across all operational business law issues including contracts, workforce agreements, trading terms and conditions, equipment leasing, sales and service agreements etc.
PROJECTS, DEVELOPMENTS & INVESTMENTS
- due diligence investigations, acquisitions and sales of commercial properties and development sites
- advice on retail and commercial leasing
- advice under the Building Act 2003 (Vic) and Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995 (Vic)
- property joint ventures
- planning advice and negotiations with local councils
- sport and licensing agreements.
Who You’ll Work With
Topics We’ve Written About
If you are starting a new business venture in partnership with someone else, it is highly advisable to put in place a Shareholders/Partnership Agreement. We regularly receive enquiries from people who have not done so, and when a dispute breaks out it can be a messy...
A Buy/Sell Agreement is a valuable piece of your business succession plan. For those who run a business with co-owners, you should always consider a Buy/Sell Agreement as it puts measures in place to enable continuing owners to acquire the share of an exiting owner....
As previously discussed in our article Director Identification Numbers – What Do You Need To Know?, all company directors must obtain a Director Identification Number (DIN). A DIN is a unique identifier allocated to all directors of companies and other Australian...
Starting your own business is one of the most satisfying things that you can do, and seeing it flourish and grow is an incredibly fulfilling experience. Some people kick off their business as a sole trader because they don’t know how successful it will be. But if you...
Whether you are looking to establish a new business enterprise in Australia or expand an existing business, there are many things to consider. In addition to thinking about your sources of capital, reaching agreement with suppliers, trading terms with customers,...
Becoming a company director comes with many benefits – power, connections, and good compensation befitting the role. However, the position comes with responsibilities, and when things go wrong, a company director can be personally liable for the company’s debts, and...
Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
"Friendly, professional service. Subject matter promptly dealt with. Will recommend them."
Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
"Ryan Curtis-Griffiths and Jacqui Azouz provided excellent legal work. I am a lawyer in the United States so I expect a lot. And I got it from Ryan and Jacqui. They are knowledgeable, efficient and very easy to work with. I will use them whenever I have an opportunity. "
Professionalism, Responsiveness, Value
"I cannot find any words to describe the professionalism of thos firm. Everyone from the reception to financial services and not to say Mae who helped out was absolutely amazing. I had Richard Hamilton who was definitely someone I will always have to represent me if I need any further help. Keep up the fantastic work ? "
Reliable Lawyer and Good Expertise
"Richard Hamilton is a very genuine lawyer with very good expertise, good values and ethics of responsibility. He is not one of the lawyers in the market who would deceive you with false hopes. I found him very reliable which is something you need when you are going through a difficult family court case. Richard is also very good in returning to calls and emails. I definitely recommend him."
Excellent services and advice
"Ryan has been my migration lawyer of a number of years now and has been successful in obtaining PR and Australian Citizenship for me. His advice is clear, straight forward and tailored to an individual's needs. He puts in the effort and time and always cares for his clients. Overall, I received a first-class service from him, and I highly recommend him to anyone looking for migration advice."
The best immigration service provider in Mel
"In all respect to achieve your PR and the pathway for citizenship was done very professionally ! Special thanks to Rayan ( MD) who helped me in all the way throughout to achieve goal."
"Ryan Curtis-Griffiths knowledge of immigration law, a skills in preparing all documents, excellent communication skills, rapid response to my inquiries, thoughtful and good listener."
Professional Service with Attention to Detail
"We engaged Nevett Ford Lawyers to prepare our 186 Business Nomination and Visa Application. Ryan provided outstanding service by assisting us with all his experience in the industry. It was the best decision to work with Ryan as he always listened to our instructions and assisted with timely advise. I would definitely recommend Ryan and his team to anyone looking for a Immigration lawyer."
Professional Service and Prompt Response
"Ryan and his team made sure the process of 186 Business Nomination and Visa application were as seamless as possible. We always received prompt response and correct advise regarding the matter. I would happily recommend Ryan and Nevett Ford to anyone who wants assistance with 186 visas."
Best Lawyers in the business
"Looked after me. Always made sure I knew what was going on and why, but also made sure my mental health was top priority."
Very professional team
"Great professional team, best communicating with the customer."
Legal expertise, Client focused service, Courtesy
"Nevett Ford Lawyers, including paralegals and administrative staff, displayed professional and reliable services. All staff with whom I interacted responded promptly to my queries and requests. Their polite and friendly manner was appreciated and reassuring."
Professional, Efficient & Supportive
"A Positive outcome of Permanent Residency from a Ministerial Intervention is what we achieved through Nevett Ford Lawyers. David Stratton and his Team have been highly efficient and professional along the entire journey through the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) and Ministerial Intervention. The Team managed our file with great care and patience while supporting us through the entire process during the past four years. We would highly recommend Nevett Ford Lawyers for their Professionalism and Task Accomplishments."
Ryan and Shalini worked extremely hard for us
"Ryan and Shalini's communication skills were what really stood out to us. They replied to emails most of the time within minutes and did a good job on helping us stay realistic about expectations as our case was extremely difficult and had a high chance of failure, they did a brilliant job of getting the visa through for my partner."
Service provided was professional & prompt
"Great communication, friendly interaction with all staff (including reception), prompt and did what they said they would do."
Navigating a tricky workplace case
"Generous with their time. Fair and pragmatic advice from which I was able to make an informed decision."