We have been assisting clients with Australian Citizenship applications for over 20 years and we are familiar with all of the legislative requirements to ensure you can become an Australian citizen. Our Google reviews stand testament to our commitment to outstanding client service.
We proudly provide personalised and understanding advice and service for all and we are experts in Australian Citizenship applications.
Our experienced Immigration Lawyers & Registered Migration Agents are able to advise you on all aspects of eligibility.
You may be eligible to apply for citizenship if you currently hold permanent residency in Australia, you satisfy the residential requirements, and you are of good character. Australian citizenship represents full and formal membership of the community of the Commonwealth of Australia. This means that, as a citizen of Australia, you will have the right to:
- travel in and out of Australia without requiring a visa,
- vote in government elections,
- apply for any public office or stand for election as a Member of Parliament,
- apply for an Australian passport,
- apply to serve in the Australian Defence Forces,
- apply for certain government jobs in the public sector,
- register your children as Australian citizens, and
- request emergency assistance from Australian consular staff when travelling outside Australia.
These rights are in addition to those that people already hold as permanent residents of Australia.
Some of the most common pathways to citizenship, and the key criteria, are set out below. There are exceptions to a number of the criteria, but such cases will require analysis of circumstances to assess eligibility.
Citizenship by Conferral
You may be eligible to become an Australian citizen if you:
- are aged 18 years of age or over,
- have held Australian permanent residency for the last 12 months with no more than 90 days absence from Australia,
- have been lawfully in Australia for the last 4 years with no more than 12 months absence from Australia,
- have successfully sat the citizenship test, which shows you:
- understand what it means to become a citizen of Australia,
- have a basic understanding of Australia and the privileges and responsibilities involved in becoming an Australian citizen, and
- have a basic knowledge of the English language, and
- are likely to continue to reside in Australia, or maintain a close association with Australia, once you have become a citizen and are of good character.
Citizenship by Descent
Generally speaking, eligibility under this pathway is possible if you:
- were born outside Australia on or after 26 January 1949 and a parent of yours was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth, or
- were born outside Australia or New Guinea before 26 January 1949 and a parent of yours was an Australian citizen on 26 January 1949.
Citizenship by Adoption
Australian citizenship is available via this route if you:
- have been adopted outside Australia in accordance with the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption by at least one Australian citizen, or
- are a child and have been adopted in Australia/overseas with adoption finalised under Australian law and you are present in Australia as a permanent resident and one of the adoptive parents is an Australian citizen.
Other categories of people who may be eligible for Australian citizenship include (but are not limited to):
- a child born to a former Australian citizen,
- a child born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986, who did not acquire citizenship automatically at birth, and who has been ordinarily resident in Australia throughout the 10 year period beginning on the day of their birth,
- a child less than 15 applying on their own,
- a former Australian citizen, seeking to resume their Australian citizenship,
- a person born in Australia and who is stateless, or
- a child born in Australia and has been abandoned
Before you apply for Australian Citizenship, contact our expert Immigration Lawyers & Registered Migration Agents.
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
Topics We’ve Written About
By 31 December 2023 all Working Holiday visa holders (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa holders (subclass 462) who have been working for their existing employer for 6 months must move jobs. We recommend visa holders and employer start making plans for this...
A number of positive changes are finally here for overseas workers in Australia. From 25 November 2023, TSS subclass 482 and 457 visa holders now have access to permanent residency via the subclass 186 Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) visa regardless of their visa...
The Working Holiday Maker (WHM) visa program consists of two categories: the Working Holiday (subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas. Individuals holding these visa subclasses are collectively known as Working Holiday Makers (WHMs). The primary...
On November 8th, the High Court of Australia delivered a ground-breaking verdict declaring indefinite immigration detention as illegal. This ruling, overturning a twenty year old practice initiated by the previous coalition government, has set off a series of hurried...
Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Subclass 482 Visa to Permanent Residency The Australian Department of Home Affairs has confirmed that on 25 November 2023 there will be changes implemented to the employer-sponsored permanent residency program. After the Employer...
The Australian government has introduced the Pacific Engagement Visa (“PEV”). Eligible applicants will enter a ballot process and there are 3,000 permanent Australian visas to be granted annually. Applicants must satisfy certain eligibility criteria to secure...
Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
“Friendly, professional service. Subject matter promptly dealt with. Will recommend them.”
Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
“Ryan Curtis-Griffiths and Jacqui Azouz provided excellent legal work. I am a lawyer in the United States so I expect a lot. And I got it from Ryan and Jacqui. They are knowledgeable, efficient and very easy to work with. I will use them whenever I have an opportunity. “
Professionalism, Responsiveness, Value
“I cannot find any words to describe the professionalism of thos firm. Everyone from the reception to financial services and not to say Mae who helped out was absolutely amazing. I had Richard Hamilton who was definitely someone I will always have to represent me if I need any further help. Keep up the fantastic work ? “
Reliable Lawyer and Good Expertise
“Richard Hamilton is a very genuine lawyer with very good expertise, good values and ethics of responsibility. He is not one of the lawyers in the market who would deceive you with false hopes. I found him very reliable which is something you need when you are going through a difficult family court case. Richard is also very good in returning to calls and emails. I definitely recommend him.”
Excellent services and advice
“Ryan has been my migration lawyer of a number of years now and has been successful in obtaining PR and Australian Citizenship for me. His advice is clear, straight forward and tailored to an individual’s needs. He puts in the effort and time and always cares for his clients. Overall, I received a first-class service from him, and I highly recommend him to anyone looking for migration advice.”
The best immigration service provider in Mel
“In all respect to achieve your PR and the pathway for citizenship was done very professionally ! Special thanks to Rayan ( MD) who helped me in all the way throughout to achieve goal.”
“Ryan Curtis-Griffiths knowledge of immigration law, a skills in preparing all documents, excellent communication skills, rapid response to my inquiries, thoughtful and good listener.”
Professional Service with Attention to Detail
“We engaged Nevett Ford Lawyers to prepare our 186 Business Nomination and Visa Application. Ryan provided outstanding service by assisting us with all his experience in the industry. It was the best decision to work with Ryan as he always listened to our instructions and assisted with timely advise. I would definitely recommend Ryan and his team to anyone looking for a Immigration lawyer.”
Professional Service and Prompt Response
“Ryan and his team made sure the process of 186 Business Nomination and Visa application were as seamless as possible. We always received prompt response and correct advise regarding the matter. I would happily recommend Ryan and Nevett Ford to anyone who wants assistance with 186 visas.”
Best Lawyers in the business
“Looked after me. Always made sure I knew what was going on and why, but also made sure my mental health was top priority.”
Very professional team
“Great professional team, best communicating with the customer.”
Legal expertise, Client focused service, Courtesy
“Nevett Ford Lawyers, including paralegals and administrative staff, displayed professional and reliable services. All staff with whom I interacted responded promptly to my queries and requests. Their polite and friendly manner was appreciated and reassuring.”
Professional, Efficient & Supportive
“A Positive outcome of Permanent Residency from a Ministerial Intervention is what we achieved through Nevett Ford Lawyers. David Stratton and his Team have been highly efficient and professional along the entire journey through the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) and Ministerial Intervention. The Team managed our file with great care and patience while supporting us through the entire process during the past four years. We would highly recommend Nevett Ford Lawyers for their Professionalism and Task Accomplishments.”
Ryan and Shalini worked extremely hard for us
“Ryan and Shalini’s communication skills were what really stood out to us. They replied to emails most of the time within minutes and did a good job on helping us stay realistic about expectations as our case was extremely difficult and had a high chance of failure, they did a brilliant job of getting the visa through for my partner.”
Service provided was professional & prompt
“Great communication, friendly interaction with all staff (including reception), prompt and did what they said they would do.”
Navigating a tricky workplace case
“Generous with their time. Fair and pragmatic advice from which I was able to make an informed decision.”