Binding Financial Agreements (also referred to as prenuptial agreements, prenups, or BFAs) are designed to protect the property rights of parties in the event that the relationship ends. These agreements can deal with what happens to assets or maintenance obligations in the event that you separate.
At Nevett Ford, our experienced prenuptial and postnuptial agreement lawyers are here to give you peace of mind and provide you with the support and guidance to obtain an outcome that you are satisfied with. We can draft documents that protect and deal with everything, or simply seek to carve out protected or isolated assets for you. Our lawyers genuinely believe in putting our client’s experience of the legal system and our service as a priority, which means we are open and transparent with you about the process, as well as our cost of service and the family law.
What Do Prenuptial Agreements Cover?
The terms of a prenuptial agreement can cover a wide variety of matters, including:
- In the event of a divorce, what assets will be divided and in what proportion.
- In the event of the death of one partner, your spouse will usually inherit a portion of estate. If you do not wish for this to happen, this can be included in the terms of the prenup.
- What assets are considered martial and what are non-marital.
- Anticipated changes in the future i.e. children. You can detail whether the terms will change if children are involved.
- Pre-determined amount of spousal maintenance or separation payment.
It is important to note that prenuptial agreements do not cover the custody of children or child support payments. They are predominantly used to dictate how a couple’s finances will be divided in the event that the relationship breaks down.
Benefits Of Prenuptial Agreements
With a prenuptial agreement, it allows a couple to lay all their cards on the table and discuss issues that can help to strengthen the relationship. Here is a list of benefits of a prenuptial agreement:
- Protection & Security – You and your partner have peace of mind about how future arrangements will be carried out. Your valuable assets, including premarital property, family heirlooms and businesses owned will be protected.
- Clarity & Certainty – A prenup provides you and your partner with the exact details of how your net assets and resources will be divided if you choose to separate in the future.
- Time & Cost – Prenups can be prepared in a matter of weeks. However, if parties separate without a prenup, and they are unable to agree on how to organise their assets, they may have to engage in Court – increasing the costs significantly and possibly taking months, and sometimes years to resolve.
- Facilitate Separation or Divorce – Prenups help to facilitate a smooth and seamless separation or divorce by preventing contentious disagreements.
Decades Of Experience
Our team is backed by leading expertise and years of experience in prenuptial agreements and binding financial agreements, with hundreds advised upon each year.
Our lawyers will accommodate to your needs, instead of a one-size-fits-all approach.
High Success Rates
We strive to provide a positive resolution and outcome for all parties involved.
Standard Of Care
Our lawyers show genuine interest, empathy and care for our clients, resulting in strong and meaningful relationships.
We pride ourselves on being accessible, responsive to calls and emails.
Initial Fixed Cost Consultations
Our team is dedicated to providing transparent and affordable fees, so clients know what the process will look like ahead of time.
Nevett Ford Is A Member Of The Following:
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
“Firstly, I can’t begin to thank you enough Nevett ford lawyers, you have all done such a great job with my case, I personally want to thank Stacey and Richard Hamilton for all the hard work that you have done. You have changed my life and every dollar spent was well worth it. You are very professional, responsive and compassionate. From the first day when I walked in, Richard gave me complete confidence unlike previous lawyers and with this, he was able to go above and beyond to help me and get fantastic results. Thank you Richard, and thank you to your whole team. I will definitely recommend you to everyone who needs your services.”
“The last 3 years I been liaising with Nevett Ford and I can finally say it’s all over I could have hoped for. To Richard Hamilton and the entire team at Nevett Ford I can’t thank you enough for your professionalism, hard work and dedication.”
“I highly recommend using Nevett Ford Lawyers for your Family Law matters, especially Richard Hamilton. I found that whoever I spoke to from their office was always ready to listen and assist me with my queries in a timely manner.”