From 11.59pm on 31 May 2020 restrictions on gatherings at places of worship and ceremonies will be eased:
- Private worship or small religious ceremonies can be held for up to 20 people.
- Weddings – 20 people in addition to the celebrant and couple being married can attend a wedding.
- Funeral – 50 people can attend a funeral in addition to the officiant and funeral staff.
It is important the right public health measures are in place for weddings, funerals and other religious events subject to the four square metre rule – one person per four square metres. Venue operators or the celebrant are required to keep records of each person attending the wedding, funeral or ceremony for tracking purposes.
Multiple services or ceremonies can be held on the same day, but cleaning should occur between services or ceremonies. At least one hour should be allowed between services or ceremonies to reduce the risk of crowds at entrances and exits.
Penalties For Non-Compliance
Victoria Police can issue on the spot fines of up to $1,652 for individuals and up to $9,913 for businesses for:
- Refusing or failing to comply with the emergency directions;
- Refusing or failing to comply with a public health risk power direction; or
- Refusing or failing to comply with a direction by the Chief Health Officer to provide information.
Fines of up to $20,000 for individuals and $100,000 for businesses are possible through the court system.
If you have any queries throughout these unprecedented times, please contact us on 03 9614 7111 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.