Select Page

Victorian border restrictions – What does this mean for parenting arrangements?

by | Jan 29, 2021 | Family Law

From 11 January 2021, anyone entering Victoria will need to apply for a permit before traveling, including Victorian residents returning home from another state or territory. NSW border community residents are exempt from obtaining a permit to enter Victoria.

If you are escaping harm or risk of harm, including from family violence by another person, you may enter Victoria without a permit. Exemptions are limited and only granted in special cases, as assessed by the Department of Health and Human Services.

The permit system is based on a traffic light system where areas of Australia are considered green, orange or red according to their risk. It is important to check current government information before you travel as the risk in any area may change very quickly depending on health advice.

If you have parenting orders that require travel to Victoria, you should apply for a permit from Service Victoria before traveling. If your permit is granted, it is strongly recommended that you carry a copy of your parenting orders or other proof of custody arrangements. If your permit is refused, or you are required to quarantine and or self-isolate with the children, please make sure the other parent can have contact another way by phone or video conferencing, and work out an agreement as to how the other parent can have make-up time when the border opens.

If you require further advice regarding the implications of the border closure on your parenting plans and orders, please do not hesitate to contact one of our experienced family lawyers on 03 9614 7111 or by email on melbourne@nevettford.com.au.