Select Page

Latest Information for Temporary / Permanent Visa Holders and Australian Citizens

by | Jul 22, 2020 | Migration

? Leaving Australia?

Latest Information for Temporary / Permanent Visa Holders and Australian Citizens
The following updated information has been released by the Australian Border Force (ABF) relating to travellers wishing to LEAVE Australia.

Due to the current COVID-19 situation in Australia, including state and territory border restrictions, business closures and social distancing requirements, international visitors are encouraged to return home when possible to do so.

Temporary visa holders should be aware that if they wish to return to Australia while COVID-19 restrictions are in place, they will generally need a travel exemption. You do not need permission to depart Australia (however an exemption to return must be sought as per standard protocol)

Temporary Visa Holders Returning to Their Home Country
Temporary visa holders impacted by COVID-19 can make arrangements to return to their home country, if border restrictions in that country allow.

Registering Your Details – Available for Temporary Visa Holders Only
The Australian Border Force (ABF) will provide your information to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, which may provide this information to your home government (either overseas or represented by the embassy, consulate or High Commission in Australia). This may assist with logistical issues such as securing a flight and also provide advice in relation to any local requirements.

Australians And Permanent Residents
If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident and you plan to leave Australia, you will need to apply for a travel exemption in order to return.

You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

  • Your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • Your travel is essential for the conduct of critical industries and business (including export and import industries)
  • You are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
  • You are travelling on urgent and unavoidable personal business
  • You are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds
  • Your travel is in the national interest.

Travel Exemptions are in place for the following applicants:

  • Ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
  • An airline, maritime crew or associated safety worker
  • A New Zealand citizen holding a Special Category (subclass 444) visa
  • Engaged in the day-to-day conduct of outbound freight
  • Associated with essential work at Australian offshore facilities
  • Travelling on official government business, including members of the Australian Defence Force.

You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in Departmental systems.

Need help and assistance? Contact us today so we can help
Nevett Ford Lawyers Melbourne
?: +61 3 9614 7111
?: melbourne@nevettford.com.au
?: www.nevettford.com.au