The acting Minister for Immigration Alan Tudge has announced a new Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) with 17 ‘selected’ occupations to be allowed to enter Australia, despite the current travel restrictions, to assist with the Australia’s economic recovery.
The government believes that this decision has been made to strengthen the current labour market by allowing small numbers of skilled employees to return to Australia and fulfil the urgent needs of critical sectors.
These critical sector are primarily in health care, construction and various IT occupations. This indicates that any sponsored employees who are currently outside of Australia, due to the travel ban are able to request for an exemption to arrive in Australia. The same will also apply to any new potential skilled overseas sponsorships. However, all arrivals will be subjected to mandatory 14 day quarantine at their own expense.
The 17 PMSOL occupations (ANZSCO code) are
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Mediscal) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)
What Does This Mean For You?
If you are employed in one of the above occupations, or are seeking work in one of the above occupations, we can help with your visa application and travel exemption for Australia.
Contact Nevett Ford Lawyers Today if You Require Any Australian Immigration Assistance
(Although our office is based in Melbourne, immigration is under the federal legislative framework and we can assist applicants based in or interested in any part of Australia.)