Select Page

Australian Immigration Law Update: Hong Kong Passport Holder Visa Options

by | Sep 13, 2020 | Migration

The Australian government is offering new and extended visa options to students and skilled workers from Hong Kong. This will help Hong Kong passport holders to remain in Australia, with pathways to permanent residency.

Current and future students from Hong Kong will be eligible for a 5 year temporary graduate 9subclass 485) visa once they successfully complete eligible tertiary studies.

  • Those former students already on a temporary graduate visa will be given an extension of up to 5 years, starting from 9 July 2020.  The Department will contact those who are eligible in due course.
  • These graduates will also have a pathway to permanent residency after 5 years
    • For those who study at a regional campus and choose to live and work in regional Australia, the pathway to permanent residency will be available after 3 years.

Current temporary skilled visa holders from Hong Kong will be eligible for an additional 5 years from 9 July 2020 in addition to the time they’ve already been in Australia. They will also be eligible for a pathway to permanent residency at the end of that 5 years.

  • Future applicants from Hong Kong for temporary skilled visas will be eligible for a 5 year visa, if they:
    • have qualifications listed on the occupational skills lists and meet Labour Market Testing requirements, or
    • qualify through the Global Talent temporary visa scheme, which is for exceptional talent where the sponsoring employer pays above the Fair Work High Income Threshold of $153,600.
  • These future temporary skilled visa holders will also be eligible for a 5 year visa with a pathway to permanent residency.

These changes will be updated in the Migration Regulations.

Contact Nevett Ford Lawyers Today if You Require Any Australian Immigration Assistance

?: +61 3 9614 7111
?: www.nevettford.com.au  
?: melbourne@nevettford.com.au

(Although our office is based in Melbourne, immigration is under the federal legislative framework and we can assist applicants based in or interested in any part of Australia.)