Health Workforce Certificates Not Required for Some Medical Practitioners Applying for Australian Permanent Residence

by | Jun 25, 2019 | Migration

‘Health Workforce Certificates’ Not Required for Medical Practitioners Under Grandfathering Provision/ENS Transitional Stream

The Department of Health introduced a new requirement on 11 March 2019, requiring employers wanting to sponsor any overseas doctors (Medical Practitioners) to obtain a ‘Health Workforce Certificate’ (‘HWC’) before lodging a nomination application for the following Australian visas:

  • Subclass 482 Temporary Skills Shortage Visa;
  • Subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa, or;
  • Subclass 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa.

Recently, the Department of Home Affair (‘DHA’) has further clarification that HWC will not be required for any Medical Practitioners applying under the Temporary Transitional (‘TRT’) stream via the ENS/RSMS visas, and the subclass 457 transitional arrangements (i.e. any applicant who held a subclass 457 visa on, or before, the 18th of April 2017, or who had applied for the 457 visa on, or before, the 18th of April 2017 which was subsequently granted).

Nevett Ford Lawyers can assist with all visa applications, including employer sponsored and transitional stream applications. 

Please contact us for any information, advice and assistance, telephone: +61 3 9614 7111 or, email: melbourne@nevettford.com.au